There are a range of services and support available to support those households with cold related health conditions during the cold winters months. Conditions such as cardiovascular conditions, respiratory conditions e.g. COPD, neurological conditions e.g. dementia, musculoskeletal conditions e.g. rheumatoid arthritis, blood conditions, cancer, diabetes, or mental health conditions.
Support for owner occupier/private rented households with cold related health conditions and in receipt of certain benefits/low income* may be eligible for:
- Grants for boiler replacements
- Grants for boiler servicing & repairs
KEEPING YOU WARM DURING COLD WEATHER
- Stay warm – set your thermostat to 18-21 degrees Celsius.
- Make sure you and your family members have received all appropriate vaccinations. Your GP surgery can give you advice on this.
- Make sure you have adequate supplies of medication and groceries in case there is a cold snap.
- Try to have warm drinks and at least one hot meal each day.
- Dress in plenty of layers and if you wear slippers make sure they are a snug fit with non-slip soles.
- If you have to go outdoors in cold weather, wear a hat, gloves and warm shoes or boots with non-slip soles.
- Keep active and remove hazards that may cause you to fall.
- Make sure you have emergency contact number for a friend or neighbour in case you need help.
KEEPING YOUR HOME WARM AND SAFE DURING COLD WEATHER
- Make sure your loft and cavity walls are insulated (there should be 27cm or 10.5 inches of insulation in the loft) to help keep your home warm.
- Fit draught proofing to seal the gaps around doors and windows.
- Read your gas and electricity meters and give the readings to your energy suppliers. Check your gas and electricity tariffs to check if you could be paying less.
- Save energy and money by switching off unused appliances and lights.
- Get your heating serviced annually by a qualified central heating engineer and have your chimneys swept at least once every year to reduce the risk of chimney fires.
- Don’t forget to test the batteries in your smoke alarm every week.
*All Schemes are subject to eligibility criteria and funding availability
For further information please call us on: 01788 568752